• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Milk... Good or bad?

PinkStrawberries

Bluelighter
I have been hearing a lot as of lately about -correction- Dairy, causing a whole heap of problems from osteoporosis to diabetes.

Has anyone found any study reports on this ?

Here are a few I've found related ...

Milk causes Acne:

http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0190962207024024

Postmenaposal women and ischemic heart disease - higher intake of calcium, but not of vitamin D or milk products, is associated with reduced ischemic heart disease mortality in postmenopausal women-

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/149/2/151

Hip Fracters and dairy-
"Consumption of dairy products, particularly at age 20 years, was associated with an increased risk of hip fracture in old age. Multivariate adjusted odds ratios for quintiles of dairy"

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/c...NDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&journalcode=amjepid

As far as I can recall it's counter productive to drink milk for it's calcium as the protein in milk stops it from being readily absorbed, and countries with the highest dairy intake also have the highest rates of osteoporosis.

That said, unless you're lactose intollerant, it's a great source of protein & sugars and oh so tasty =D

You could try searching on http://scholar.google.com/ for milk + osteoporosis or diabetes if you have the time?

So many people are intolerant or sensitive to milk it's ridiculous.. it's not just the lactose it's the casein. Very damaging...

the more i think about all of the nasty growth hormones that are given to cows to stimulate constant milk production, the more i've started to shy away from animal milk entirely. lately i have been getting into alternative milks (almond, hemp, etc.) since soy also seems to be a victim of excessive human tampering through genetic modification and such. i'm just starting to learn more about different types of milk proteins and how readily the body can absorb them. hopefully this thread will offer some further insight :)

Canadian milk and dairy has no bovine growth hormone in it. The fact of anyone's country having it is quite horrific.

I love milk and dairy, eat more per day than Canada's foodguide recommends. I was born lactose intolerant and out grew the allergy.

I have no acne, strong as hell bones and teeth.

Dairy rules, hands down. Life is not worth living without worldly cheeses.

No cheese here and my life is great. :)

For those who are dairy intolerant, check out coconut milk. You can use coconut milk/oil as a butter or dairy replacement. I recently discovered there is coconut milk KEFIR too, which I'm looking forward to trying.

coconut milk is great, though I mainly use it for cooking. I love goats milk and fresh carabao (water buffalo milk - we get that here! ) milk (its very rich though!)

DAIRY FTW -- and a life without cheese is a life not worth living (Thats just me, kkk) ( I try to have breaks in between cheese binges though...too much dairy makes me feel a bit...pasty and bloated ;))

Milk is likely to cause acne because it contains hormones that humans are not entirely apt to control. That's my main reason to limit my intake to none (except for butter). I also discovered my chronic tummy ache went away when I stopped having cereals with milk for breakfast :)

I like hormones in my milk. But this "moo=topia" I've been drinking lately promises no hormones in their cows. It's lactose free and has 12 g of protein per serving.

milk does the body good

In my book, there is no really "bad" food (unless you are talking about chemical stuff, which is a different story altogether).

Cows are important to some countries, where they are able to harness nutrients from foliage which are not edible to humans, or survive terrain that cannot be cultivated. In my country, we do not have a long history of cow dairy, as our varieties hardly produce milk.

However, I think that preserving the health given to us by milk depends on the diet of the cows and how the milk is processed (or not).

Take note that cows are ruminants but are often fed (aside from chemicals) grain instead of grass, this severely fucks up their digestion.

Raw or merely boiled milk does curdle and can later on be made into cultured butter with no addition of enzymes. If you are using store-bought, you need to add enzymes, because the thing is literally dead. No doubt this affects the good we receive from it-- something you cannot really glean from a nutritional chart.

Many of the food we encounter now cause allergies and negative effects because of the difference in how they are produced. For instance, eggs still look like they did 90 years ago, but the content is much different. While it used to be the first thing they would give babies in my country, now doctors advise against it because of all the ill effects. Studies show that because of poultry feeds, eggs today have twice as much cholesterol and are devoid of many past beneficial elements.

There are many things you can say about dairy, and no doubt countless people have developed reactions, but I would say that before drawing conclusions on a food group it would be good to have some fresh, wholesome versions of our supermarket friends, in the quantities dictated by natural production (milk and cheeses 5x a day everyday is not too feasible in this case).

No cheese here and my life is great. :)

For those who are dairy intolerant, check out coconut milk. You can use coconut milk/oil as a butter or dairy replacement. I recently discovered there is coconut milk KEFIR too, which I'm looking forward to trying.

If you live in the U.S., you can find So Delicious coconut milk kefir at most natural food stores. It's wonderful. I especially love the strawberry flavor. It's got 10 live/active cultures in it, and it makes me feel so great when I start my day with a glass. They also make coconut milk beverages (used just like cow's milk), yogurt, coffee creamer, and ice cream, and you can download dollar-off coupons from their website here: http://turtlemountain.com/products/coupon.html :)

Milk is a baby food - high in calories & nutritients. For this reason I believe healthy adults with a full & balanced diet should only consume it in real moderation.

And has been mentioned before organic milk should be consumed if possible, you wouldn't believe the cocktail of antibiotics & hormones fed to dairy cattle. China has lower rates of cartain cancers than the western world, and they also consume less dairy products (although this is rising, as is obesity in China), and I believe the two are linked.

Food is expensive as it is so I know organic is a luxury but if those who can afford to buy organic did, the cost would come down. I find it odd that people with money will spend on other aspect of their health, but not on organic food.

countries with the highest dairy intake also have the highest rates of osteoporosis.

I think this might be slightly misleading because I assume the countries with the highest dairy intake are mostly 1st world countries who have the oldest populations. The lower rate of osteoporosis could be due to less people reaching old age rather than low dairy consumption.

Personally I think milk is good; it contains all essential amino acids and vitamin D is never bad; especially if you live in a climate that doesn't receive much sunshine.

I can't say whether it causes acne or not, but a large number of people drink milk and I assume most of them are relatively free of acne. I'm not saying that no-one gets milk related acne, just that most people don't.

MynameisnotDeja said:
So many people are intolerant or sensitive to milk it's ridiculous.. it's not just the lactose it's the casein. Very damaging...

This is true, every single human on this planet is born lactose intolerant. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is one of the reasons babies vomit milk so frequently.

Humans build up a tolerance to milk by drinking it, if you don't drink it for an extended period of time your tolerance to milk will decrease and you can actually become lactose intolerant. This happens to vegans quite frequently. It is possible to build tolerance back up but you might have to suffer vomiting the first few times.

Euphoratopia said:
Soy milk may be a good alternative.

I don't think it's a good alternative if you're a man. IIRC soy milk contains oestrogen. Don't take my word for it though, I can't remember where I read that, but I'm pretty sure it is true.

If breast milk tasted good and didn't contain drugs consumed by the women, it would be a great alternative to cow's milk. Humans aren't designed to consume cow's milk.

One advantage to soy milk is that it had been proven to enhance memory bit tastes disgusting though.

This is true, every single human on this planet is born lactose intolerant. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is one of the reasons babies vomit milk so frequently.

True that babies tend to "spit up" (it's not actually vomiting, as the substance is hardly changed by digestion yet) or posit twice as likely when they are ingesting formula instead of breast milk. They have quite immature digestive and muscular systems so they tend to expel what they cannot handle.

This may have more to do with overfeeding, though, because lactase is present in babies' constitution, which allows them to digest milk.

As a kid grows older, high quality, natural milk is not indispensable. I don't think all milk is created equal, a lot of it LOOKS like milk but is really harmful stuff. Even in India, where people have been consuming massive amounts of milk for ages and milk is seen as a sort of cure-all, allergies have increased over the years (I have seen cows eating plastic bags and stuff along the road). If you must, get a good source.

Milk in England soesnt contain hormones, so therefore it is good for you imo.

I drink at least 2 pints a day.